Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Database

I started to write my first blog, and quickly realized that many products have disappeared from the database. I sent an email inquiry as to the reasons. In the meantime, I took advantage of the feature where you can enter your own products and receive a preliminary result. The scores for my products were considerably higher using this method than the numbers I had found in the past for these products -- however, I think I will just go with them. Can it hurt to overestimate the danger of your beauty products? I doubt it. I also saw a few websites where people were questioning the methods used to determine the safety of products on the site, especially citing the data gap scores. Again, I'm not doing this to write a scientific paper, it's for my own personal investigation and change, so I'm going to just go with it, high scores, data gaps and all.


As a side note, I feel like I have to preface this blog with some info.  I'm not here to talk down to people about their way of life.  I'm not one of those people that drives their subaru to the organic food store wearing my recycled cotton clothes and chacos and spends 200 dollars on lotion made from soy and bunny rabbit smiles.  I do believe in cruelty-free products.  I do believe in cutting down on packaging waste.  I do believe in sustainability.  I do wear high heels even though they're bad for you.  I do occasionally laugh at Family Guy.  And I will, without a doubt, try to find alternative products that are safe to use and reasonably priced.  As in, if you aren't independently wealthy you can still afford them.  So. Moving on...

No comments: